Friday, August 24, 2012

Freebie Friday

Hi everyone! Today is the last day of Blog Hoppin's Teacher Week!

Today I wanted to share my classroom rules. I saw the design on Pinterest a while ago but changed to pictures and words to match Whole Brain Teaching. I've never tried WBT before but I hear only good things and I wanted to give it a shot this year!


Click on the picture to check it out at my TpT store!

On another note, I spent a LONG day in my classroom yesterday and I'm feeling much better about the setup. I'll post more pictures maybe this weekend after I finish putting some more things away! 

Does anyone out there use Handwriting Without Tears? I really want a class set of double lined chalkboards but our district only provided ONE board for each 1st grade class. I'm trying to think creatively about how I can make a class set but it comes out kind of expensive any way I think about it... Anyone out there have tips or suggestions? Here are the boards I'm trying to recreate: 


I might have to give up and have them only practice in their workbooks... but I would love for them to have chalkboards to practice even more!

EDIT:: I talked with my principal today about these boards and we might be able to get a set! So no more stress for me, phew! I'd still love to hear any feedback from people who use HWT. This year will be the first year grades 1 and 2 will be doing it (used to be just K). I've heard lots of good things so far!!

It's the last day to link up! 




6 comments:

  1. One option... use your computer to design the paper with the line width you'd like. Print one for each student, double sided. Then slip it into a binder sheet protector-one that is clear-so that either side shows the writing lines. You can get a class set of page protectors for less than $5 this time of year. I've had good luck with Staples brand. Then have your students use dry erase markers on the sheet protectors for writing. Since you double sided the paper students can write on either side. For easy erasing, I picked up some bargain new socks at a big box store and put dry erase markers in the socks for storage, one per student. I did a bulk order with a school supply company for affordable markers and made them all the same color so there were no student issues about color choice. The socks with pens were just stored in a plastic tub on the counter and passed out when needed. You will, of course, have to go over usage rules with kiddos so that markers don't dry out. I made them all hold up markers and let me hear the lid "snap" down. Parents might donate markers too. The socks can also be taken home and washed as needed. They may stain with color over time, but lasted multiple years for me. Sheet protectors make great reusable worksheet covers for any subject! Clip them onto clipboards to make them portable if needed-writing the room-walking field trips, etc., otherwise they work fine just flat on a desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! Thank you Kathleen!!
      I actually talked to my principal today and she is seeing if we can find a way to purchase more of the chalkboards. She told me NOT to make any, so PHEW! But I love the idea of using sheet protectors!!

      Delete
  2. We use Wilson Fundations, and we have "special" paper we teach our kindergarten kiddos to write on as well. In order to save copies, and provide practice for the students, I copied the writing template on cardstock and laminated it. The students can use dry-erase markers to write on the templates. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of teachers who have made their own class set of dry erase boards at Home Depot/Lowes by doing this: http://fairydustteaching.blogspot.com/2012/03/diy-white-boards-so-cheap.html. I know that sometimes if you mention you're a teacher they won't charge for the cutting (it probably depends on the person helping you). If you did this you could draw the lines on with permanent marker and have students practice that way instead. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the freebie!! I'm your newest follower. When you get a chance, hop over and check out my new blog.
    Christy :)
    Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the freebie!! I am now a follower. Hope you will check out my blog.

    Teresa

    2nd Grade Pig Pen

    ReplyDelete