Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rules Coloring Pages

I hope everyone had a great first week back! We had lots of fun in first grade and we're getting into the swing of the new schedule and activities.

I wanted to share some coloring/writing pages I made for the first week of school. This is my first year trying Whole Brain Teaching, but so far I'm liking it! I introduced the 5 rules on the first day of school and most of the kids already have it memorized! I was pretty impressed! We even got a chance to teach the 3rd grade class our rules (since they were having a little trouble). I made these coloring pages as my Morning Work for the first week of school. My kids loved being able to recognize the rules and had lots of fun writing and coloring! It was also nice for me to see their "on their own" handwriting.

Click on the thumbnail to see it in my TpT store!

Our school is also picking up AVID this year for the first time, so I'm trying to incorporate some of that into my WBT. I use the "Hands and Eyes" command but explained it as "SLANT"... without using the word "slant". I think Hands and Eyes is much easier for a primary classroom, so we'll see how this works out. 

I've taught the "Teach/Okay" before, but tomorrow we will chart exactly what it means and practice using it with a Read Aloud. I'm going to assign partner A and B (or peanut butter and jelly, depending on how creative/silly I'm feeling at the time) and let them practice the Teach/Okay and Switch commands a lot. 

Anyone have any more tips for using WBT in a first grade classroom? I'm curious to hear which pieces you use and how you use them in your classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment