Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Reading Incentive Board

Today I wanted to share my reading incentive board:

\

The idea is originally from Pinterest, of course, but here is the source: The Teacher Wife 
I was pondering ways to get my kids to read more at home (very few do in our area) and randomly searched "reading incentive" on Pinterest... and voila! 

I didn't want to go with the candy theme, so I thought for a long time about what to put here. As you can see, I modified a Dr. Seuss quote. I love this quote and wanted to use it in my room somehow and it just worked! 

I am SUPER excited to try this out!! I ordered the dogtags from the etsy store she recommended. I couldn't find the metal stamps she used so I bought some on Amazon... they didn't work so well. I think I'm going to just P-Touch some labels to stick on there (not THAT special, I know, but how else can I get names on their in a cool/unique way? My mom suggested I buy an engraver pen, but I'm kinda sadface with money). 

I sent home a reading log last Friday and explained the system - every 100 minutes you read you get a bead on your dogtag! The kids were SO excited. They told me how they were going to read all week long and read to their brothers and mothers and grandmas and dogs and everyone! I even told them they could shoot for 200 minutes a week! Then they would get TWO beads (they were amazed). 

I'm especially excited about this system because reading logs at my school generally don't work out. They never come back, they never get done, and they never get signed. I'm really hoping this system is the cure! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment